School Strike Ontario 2019 Agreement

with No Comments

An agreement was reached with the cupE`s education workers. As a result, all DPCDSB schools will be open tomorrow morning as usual. All before- and after-school programs that are operated in DPCDSB schools as well as in daycares in DPCDSB schools are open as usual. pic.twitter.com/wf3Zl97uE2 “All parties have worked hard around the table to reach a fair and responsible agreement that keeps students in the classroom,” said Cathy Abraham. Nabeel Salloum says he saw a monumental change in the classroom last year, with the dismissal of two colleagues from his small school, where only six teachers remain. “My message to the OSSTF is to cancel the strike that is unnecessarily hurting students in classrooms in this province,” he said. Doug Ford`s government, he added, “is working to remove 10,000 teaching positions from the system – one of four high school teachers – and there is no way forward without restoration.” Lecce acknowledged that this is only the first agreement the province needs to reach, as contract negotiations continue between the province and the unions, which represent both secondary and elementary school teachers. La Cupe`s working negotiations have been completed and an agreement has been reached. We are pleased to inform you that all TDSB schools will be open to students and staff on Monday, October 7, 2019.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. Union president Harvey Bischof told CTV News Toronto that members must “cross the picket line” because they are working under a collective agreement. The union has sought what it calls “service security” — or job security and consistent hours for staff to serve children, especially those with special needs. Hundreds of CUPE workers were laid off across the province when school authorities balanced their books amid cuts. CupE members have yet to ratify the agreement and the union said the vote will take place before the end of the month. Education Minister Stephen Lecce and the Union of Canadian Public Employees bargaining unit announced the agreement just hours before the midnight strike. If the province and the union had not reached an agreement, many school authorities in the province planned to close schools completely. Parents were also warned that they expected closures and disruptions to recreation and follow-up programs.

Walton said the deal would restore the priority school fund. That means 1,300 to 1,500 jobs cut from the system when the government cut funding at the end of last year will return to schools, she said. “The Minister of Education announced that a preliminary agreement had been reached with CUPE. All schools will be open on Monday,” the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board wrote on Twitter. “It`s a day – it won`t hurt, we`ll stick to our plans and we`ll go back (Tuesday) to regular school,” she said. The Canadian Union of Public Employees and the provincial government managed to reach a preliminary agreement on Sunday night – meaning 55,000 janitors, teaching assistants, educators and office workers did not go on strike. Over the past two months, amid school closures due to COVID-19, the OECD, ETFO and AEFO have entered into all separate agreements with the Ontario government. The details of these agreements remain unknown until each union votes in favour of adopting the new measures. Among the sticking points of the strike were class sizes, e-learning initiatives, wages and social benefits. . . .